We hold to the historic teachings of Christian orthodoxy as articulated in the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed. We also subscribe to a recent summary of Christian doctrine as formulated in the statement of faith of the Langham Partnership.
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic [universal] Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.
Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.
I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceedeth from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spake by the prophets.
I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.
LANGHAM PARTNERSHIP STATEMENT OF FAITH
We are committed to the fundamental truths of historic biblical Christianity, in accordance with which we affirm:
- There is one true God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – each of whom possesses equally all the attributes of Deity and the characteristics of personality. God is the Creator and Lord of the universe, and governs all things according to His perfect, loving, holy, wise and gracious will.
- The Holy Scripture in its entirety is inspired by God’s Spirit through human authors and constitutes the revelation of God’s eternal truths to humanity. It is wholly true and trustworthy in all that it affirms. Whatever the Bible, rightly interpreted, is found to teach, we are bound to believe and obey. It is our supreme authority in every matter of belief and conduct.
- All human beings are created in God’s own likeness and therefore have inherent value and equality before God. Human sin and guilt since the Fall have rendered us subject to God’s wrath and condemnation and have resulted in our alienation from God’s life, suppression of God’s truth and hostility to God’s law. God’s love desires all to come to repentance and to be reconciled rather than condemned.
- Salvation from the guilt, penalty and all other consequences of sin has been achieved solely through the work of Jesus Christ – His perfect obedience, substitutionary death, bodily resurrection and exaltation as Lord. Jesus alone is truly God and truly human, born of a virgin, the only mediator between God and humanity. There is salvation through no other person, creed, process or power. Each sinner is justified before God and reconciled to God only by divine grace appropriated by faith alone.
- The presence and work of the Holy Spirit are essential for the individual’s new birth, power for mission, spiritual authority, and growth to maturity in Christ. As the believer welcomes the filling and control of the Holy Spirit, so the Spirit brings guidance, wisdom, comfort, conviction of sin, assurance of faith, empowerment, growth in holiness, and many other benefits.
- There is one, holy, universal and apostolic church, which is the Body of Christ, and to which all true believers belong. The church’s calling is to worship God forever and to serve God in His world.
- As the Father sent the Son into the world, so the Lord Jesus Christ sends His church to participate in God’s mission through our words and works. The church is called to go and make disciple-making disciples of Jesus, who live as missionaries wherever they find themselves, actively submitting to the empowering and authority of the Holy Spirit.
- Disciples of Jesus are to declare and demonstrate the reality of God’s active rule today through their worship, verbal witness, miraculous signs and wonders, and acts of compassion and service. They are to form rapidly multiplying Christ-centered communities, where both the lost and believers can experience the love, challenge and presence of the risen Lord Jesus. Wherever disciples have influence and opportunity, they are to bring the transforming influence of Jesus and His Kingdom into every nook and cranny of culture, society and creation.
- As the Lord Jesus ascended to his Father, so He will return personally, visibly and in glory. He will raise the dead and bring salvation and judgment to final completion. God will then fully establish his Kingdom and finish the New Creation – a new heaven and a new earth from which all evil and evildoers, all sickness and suffering, and death itself, will be excluded and in which God will be glorified forever.